You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself any direction you choose.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Old Navy "Active Wear" Product review















 For Christmas my mom bought me a bunch of running clothes from Old Navy. I heard they had an active wear line, but I had never used them before. She got me these black tights, 2 long sleeved under shirts, a pair of capris and this super bright running top (above). The line of products that she bought are called "Heat Pro".

My first review is going to be on the company/website. I tried to find all of the products on line so I could put a link to them, but needless to say I could only find a link for the items in the pic to the left, and they were both listed under sleep wear. After reading the reviews, there were many people that said they ordered "sleep wear" from the company, but received "active wear" like what my mom bought me. The package was for active wear, but the tags on the clothing say "intimates sleep wear". She bought these products in the store, so was at least able to get the right stuff, but I can see how this is horribly confusing for people trying to buy items on line.

I don't know how the products would be in regards to sleeping. I can imagine they would be warm and cozy, but I would hate to sleep in something so tight. Maybe good for a light layer in a zero degree sleeping bag while camping. I don't know, but for running however these items are fantastic!

Ohio has had some crazy whether lately. I heard on the news last night that we we have had 205 days of precipitation this year so far. That's insane and yesterday was no different. I completed an 11 mile run wearing this outfit. I zipped up the jacket (shown in the top right photo, along with my running shoes and a new headband). I hit the path around 1100 and the whether was cold, around 38 degrees and grey and it was raining. As the hour and 45 minutes passed the temperature continued to drop, turning the rain into freezing rain. It was windy out, and the rain, while it wasn't harsh, it was constant and I had a coating on me by the end of the run.

The pants were my favorite. They are very light and stretchy, extremely comfortable but provided a bit of compression to my legs which I loved for my knees that ache sometimes. I moved freely in them and they kept the rain and the wind off of my skin, which kept my legs warm, but not hot. At just above freezing temperatures these pants were fantastic. I will review them more as the temps drop, but I will definitely go out an buy another pair. At 5'2", 122lbs, a small fit me very well.

The tops were good to. I paired them together, and did not wear a tank top underneath. If it would not have been raining I may have worn just one of them and paired a t-shirt under, but for these conditions it worked well and I didn't get too warm in the double layer. The outter jacket is very light weight and the undershirt was skin tight against me, providing good compression against my arms and warmth on my belly. My chest is a 34C and a S fit me well.

The jacket is fitted for women, which made it not loose against my chest, which I appreciated. The only thing I didn't like about the top was that the zipper is long. I don't know why it is so long, I didn't see the purpose. It makes it so that the top NEEDS to be zipped up if you are running. I tried un-zipping it once, but because the fabric is so light weight (good) the open flaps kept coming up and hitting my face (bad). It would be good opened if you were running in only the undershirt and then needed to put something on over it, or if you were just looking for cute sporty clothes, but not practical to un-zip and run in. I only recommend this worn all the way up. Also, the neck fabric is not stretchy, so when worn around your neck it could be a little claustrophobic if you don't like stuff around your neck. I don't mind things around my neck when running so it didn't bother me, but I keep my phone in my bra while running, and when I needed to access it I couldn't reach in and get it but had to unzip every time. Not a big deal, just a minor annoyance to be aware of.

Over all I loved this gear for cold weather running and for the price (which I would love to give you, but couldn't find the appropriate links) these are great items. Save your money on the expensive undershirts and pants and get the Old Navy line, and buy big with a more solid staple like a coat or shoes.

Oh, and I love the thumb holes... A lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...