You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself any direction you choose.

Friday, August 10, 2012

12 weeks and running

So I have FINALLY got back into running. I took just about most of June and July off, due to our vacation in Panama and then my first trimester of pregnancy. I was extremely tired, and had to stop running in order to keep up with my job, then eventually had to stop teaching because I got so tired. The weather was also extremely hot during July this year. The weather was in the mid 90s to mid 100s most days that month. I got in a few (A FEW) morning runs, but my schedule became hard to accommodate the heat, exhaustion, and the pregnancy. So needless to stay, running had come to a halt.

After realizing, through the wonders of facebook timeline, that it literally had been almost a month since my last run, I became determined to get back into it once the temps dropped a little, no matter how tired I was. Even if I made it out for just a few miles then that would be better then no miles at all.

So I went out one evening, and it was hot still. Humid mostly, and warm, and sunny. Which made me DRAAAAG. So I chalked it in at 1.5 miles and turned around to finish up a 3 mile run. I was filled with a lot of emotions after that run. 1) I had finally got out and ran! And I didn't die! 2) Oh my gosh that was hard. I couldn't believe how much my body was dragging. I ran well over a 10 minute mile, and finishing out the 3 was difficult to say the least. I beat myself up for a few minutes. I had ran a marathon just 2 months before (in heat just like this) and did great. Now 3 miles was kicking my butt. What the! But I only let the thoughts in for a few minutes, and then went back to feeling great that I made myself get back out there.

A few days later I tried again at another 3 miler. It was a very hot day and I actually stopped at a garage sale around 2.5 miles just to get out of the sun for a second. Phew! But things got better after that.

A few days later I managed to hit a 4 miler, the next day a 6. I have switched to the bike path now in order to stay in the shade and to avoid all the hills that lead to and from my home. That seems to have helped.

Today I did a 6 miler, it was under 70, it rained on my about half way, and it felt amazing. Being a runner feels amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...