You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself any direction you choose.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

First run 2 weeks post-partum

Today I went for my first run since having the beh-beh. 


Good thing this sweater came with a snack. 

Yesterday was 2 weeks since I gave birth. I had a plan to go running last night, but my husband got off of work late, so that didn't happen, so I made the plan to go today after breakfast. This actually worked out for the better because the weather was awesome today. Mid 30s and so sunny!

I had no intentions set for how far I was going to go because I didn't know how my body was going to feel, so I set out on my 2 miler route where I could turn around at .5 to make it one, or continue on to make it 3 if I felt so inclined. 

After breakfast I nursed Patrick and got ready to head out for my run. I read that if you nurse right before you run you don't feel so FUUUULLLL. And he was happy for his daddy, allowing for a greater chance of peace when I came home. 

I doubled up on 2 very supportive bras with my running gear. I think my boobs were what I worried about the most, fearing they would twinge with pain or the bouncing would cause them to hurt. 

I grabbed my music and said I would be back in either 2 minutes... or never. 

Starting out was interesting. It has been exactly 2 months, to the day, since my last run. (Didn't plan that one) and it took a little time to find my footing. The sun put me in a great mood though and I had NO instant pain. No instant pain meant that my body was probably going to be able to handle a little bit of push push. 

My boobs didn't hurt one bit my whole run. Double up baby. The first discomfort I felt was in my lungs. It's been a while since I spent quality cardiovascular time in cold weather and it was very noticeable. Man they hurt. My lower belly was the 2nd pain, about 1/2 mile in. The same pain that I felt most of my pregnant running and it wasn't harsh so I knew as long as I concentrated on holding my core in and good posture, it would be ok. 

The next thing I felt was exhaustion. I couldn't tell if it was exhaustion related to not exercising in a while or exhaustion related to the utter exhaustion that comes with a newborn and being awake every two hours. Whatever it was I. WAS. TIRED. 

This I could get past that though. 

The next pain I encountered was my pelvic floor. I have been working on the kegals again since birth, but things like that take time. This was an annoying pain, it came and it went and again I concentrated on holding my muscles in the best I could. At some points it felt like my pelvic floor was going to fall out of my body. Weird. 

All of these pains came and went, and I monitored them to see how I felt at the end of each mile to see if I should keep going or call it quits. 

When I rounded mile one my gps told me I rounding out at a 10:40 mile. Not so good. My brain was telling me to pick up the pace woman but my body said if you pick up the pace I will floor you. So I trotted slowly along. 

I finished out mile 2 earlier then I thought and continued on for my planned 5k feeling worn out, but confident I could finish. 

Somewhere around 2.5 miles I noticed that my feet had basically stopped propelling me forwards and I think I was running in place. I think I may have fallen asleep at that point too. I don't know. It was like bootcamp all over again! It was like I came too and suddenly realized how slow I was in fact going and picked it back up. 

I finished at a solid 10:53 pace. Eh...

  • DISTANCE3.10 mi
  • DURATION33m:43s
  • AVG. SPEED10:53 min/mi
  • MAX. SPEED7:20 min/mi
  • CALORIES484 kcal
  • HYDRATION0.12L
  • MIN. ALTITUDE732 ft
  • MAX. ALTITUDE774 ft
  • TOTAL ASCENT0 ft
  • TOTAL DESCENT43 ft


How did I descend, but not ascend, if I ended up where I started?

When I stopped running all my not preggo anymore pains left and I was just left with a burning in my lungs and my legs. Those I can handle. 

I had to pop a few Motrin today to keep the cramps down and I have had a stitch in my belly, but besides that I feel good and happy I did it. I think I'll try for another 3 tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...